The capital city of Germany, Berlin is filled with exciting attractions and a wide variety of things to do. Regarded as one of the greenest European capitals, Berlin boasts exquisite parks as well as a myriad of cultural features. If you are planning to visit this exciting capital city, be sure to check out the following ten attractions.
1. Museum IslandOne of Europe’s most illustrious cultural centers, Berlin’s Museum Island is home to five renowned museums that are among the finest in the world. The museums include the Altes Museum (commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm III in 1830), the Old National Gallery, the Neues Museum, the Bode Museum, and the Pergamon Museum. Babylonian antiquities, Greek and Roman artifacts, and various art collections are some of the cultural attractions on display on Museum Island.
2. Berlin ZooOne of the largest zoos in the world, the Berlin Zoo is a must-visit attraction for people of all ages. The zoo first opened in 1844. Today it is home to more than 15,000 animals including panda bears, elephants, lions, wolves, and gorillas. The famous “Lion” and “Elephant” entrances are landmarks. The zoo also boasts a revered children’s zoo.
More: Top 10 Largest Zoos in the World
3. TiergartenThis beautiful one-square-mile park is Berlin’s largest park. Once the private hunting ground for the electors of Brandenburg, the park is now open to the public and filled with enchanting scenes. Aside from the Berlin Zoo that is located within the park’s proximity, visitors can also plan to see Bellevue Palace, the House of World Cultures, and the Victory Column.
4. The Holocaust MemorialMore than 6,000 Jews lost their lives at the hands of the Nazis. The Holocaust Memorial features a myriad of unmarked stone slabs. Their placement indicates a sense of instability and disorientation. The memorial can be visited at any time, day or night and is situated near the Brandenburg Gate.
5. PhilharmonieAs one of the finest orchestras in the world, the Berliner Philharmoniker attracts music lovers from near and far. If you can procure tickets during your stay in Berlin, you should, by all means, plan an evening around a musical performance. The orchestra has a 120-year history and has been led by such greats as Peter Tchaikovsky, Richard Strauss, and Edvard Grieg.
More: 10 Gorgeous Places Everyone Should Visit
6. The MonumentsBerlin is home to landmarks and monuments that should not be missed on a visit to Berlin. The most illustrious of the city’s landmarks is the Brandenburg Gate, which is 300 years old. Other must-see landmarks include the Statue of Frederick the Great, the Palace Bridge and its statues, and the Monument to Soviet Soldiers. Visiting the monuments also allows travelers to witness other attractions of the city.
7. KurfurstendammThis boulevard is ideal for anyone who relishes a day of shopping. Experience the shops, boutiques, and restaurants of the Kurfurstendamm. It’s a great place to enjoy a glass of German beer in an outdoor café. Moreover, it’s a great place to relax and meet locals.
8. NightlifeBerlin has historically been known for its thrilling nightlife. Clubs, lounges, concert halls, and bars of all types attract party-goers from around the world. The city is always buzzing with hot new clubs and pubs for tourists to visit.
9. PotsdamA visit to Potsdam is a terrific day trip from Berlin. Potsdam is home to the spectacular Sanssouci Palace as well as many other historic buildings. While much of Potsdam was damaged during 1945, the palaces of the Sanssouci Park survived. Anyone interested in historic architecture should certainly take time to visit this elegant destination.
10. GendarmenmarktOne of the most famous and beautiful squares in Europe, the Gendarmenmarkt is home to various historical buildings that attract tourists from all over the globe. When visiting the square, plan to see the French Cathedral, the German Cathedral, and the Concert Hall. The French Cathedral was completed in 1705, and the German Cathedral was built in 1708. The Concert Hall dates to 1821.
More: 10 Lesser Known Ancient Ruins in Europe
Be sure to add these exciting things to do to your travel itinerary. Berlin is filled with incredible attractions, but these are among its finest! As a huge travel junkie, I recommend you to act like a local when visiting any country and city, including Berlin. This way you will get an unforgettable travel experience and won’t spend tons of money like most tourists do. Have you ever been to Berlin?