What can be more relaxing than enjoying the sandy beaches and the warm Indian Ocean? Mauritius is well-known for its fabulous beaches that are mostly public and budget-friendly unless you want to stay in a luxury hotel. Even though Mauritius draws mostly backpackers, newly married couples, and water sports junkies, anyone can afford to visit one of these eight fascinating beaches in Mauritius.
1. Flic en FlacWith its breathtaking paradise setting and a great variety of water sports opportunities, Flic en Flac is the quintessential tropical beach in Mauritius. Blue water, talcum-white sand, tall palms, and cool beachfront bars make Flic en Flac a perfect destination for those seeking tranquility without sacrificing the fun.
2. Mont ChoisyOne of the longest beaches in Mauritius, Mont Choisy is an excellent choice for weekend getaways as well as long, romantic honeymoons. Situated in the north of the island, the Mont Choisy beach is known for its casuarina trees, shallow turquoise waters and a genuine palette of water sports. If you want to avoid the crowds, aim to visit the beach during the workweek.
3. La CuvettePhoto: pinterest.com
Located in the north of Mauritius, in the village of Grand Bay, the tiny yet breathtakingly beautiful La Cuvette beach is a hidden gem of the country. Although the beach is only 80 meters in length, there are many things to do if you feel bored, such as beach football and volleyball courts. Unlike Mont Choisy, La Cuvette is less crowded, even during the weekends.
4. Blue Bay BeachNo list of the best Mauritius beaches or destinations is complete without the Blue Bay Beach. Apart from swimming and sunbathing, the Blue Bay Beach offers its visitors to learn and enjoy a vibrant marine life. You will see many incredibly colorful fish and awesome corals. Since the beach is located close to the airport, it boasts some top-flight hotels and restaurants to visit when you are not tight on a budget.
5. Trou aux BichesTrou aux Biches is another beach that is pretty popular and known for its wonderful hotels, bars, and restaurants. Trou aux Biches is ideal for families as it offers comfortable facilities. The most beautiful thing about the beach is its sunsets when the sky changes the colors – from orange to pink shades. No wonder, a great number of photographers head to Trou aux Biches to get the most breathtaking sunset photos.
6. PereybereThe Pereybere beach is rather crowded, especially during the summer season, but most visitors are local children and their parents. The beach is located between Grand Bay and Cap Malheureux and offers a wide range of water sports, exquisite food, and amazing hotels. Not only will families with kids enjoy the beach, extroverts will love it as well.
7. Le MorneLe Morne is a fun-packed public beach that is more popular among surfers, windsurfers, and kiteboarders than those who just want to swim and sunbathe. It may not be safe for swimming. If you are looking for a family-friendly beach, choose Pereybere instead.
8. Grand BayLocated at the very center of Grand Bay, the Grand Bay beach is easily accessible by walk and provides top-notch facilities, including fresh budget-friendly fast food stalls, juice stands, beach restaurants, hotels among the others. However, keep in mind that the beach is almost always overcrowded and the water is not clear due to the high boat traffic. Despite these downsides, the Grand Bay beach is worth visiting.
This summer, slip into the waters of one of these fascinating Mauritius beaches and enjoy spectacular views at the same time. The next time you have trouble deciding where to go on your vacation, choose Mauritius and one of these beaches. All beaches of Mauritius are public, so pick your destination carefully. If you have ever visited Mauritius, share your experiences with us, please.