Heaven-like beaches, weather that’s always mild, and affordable luxury are all good reasons to choose the Caribbean the next time you have a vacation lined up. The Caribbean, though, has many islands so which one should you pick? It’s not an easy decision so start planning your vacation right now. Here are the 10 best Caribbean destinations to try.
1. ArubaAruba offers more than perfect natural beauty; it’s a great destination for anyone who loves decadence and luxury, too. The island has an impressive collection of glittering casinos, luxury hotels and high-end shopping to rival anything in Las Vegas. While Aruba is a lovely little island paradise with every water sport and activity that you could want, it tends to be expensive.
2. GrenadaGrenada in the Caribbean is often mixed up with Granada of Spain. Tourists to both destinations often end up in the wrong place. Once you get to Grenada in the Caribbean, you’re likely to notice the sheer colorfulness of the island; it’s a veritable kaleidoscope. The deep blue water, the green of the lush tropical vegetation, the reds and yellows of the blooms and the cozy island architecture can together cheer you up before you even start exploring the island.
3. St. Vincent and The GrenadinesSpread over more than 30 islands, St. Vincent and The Grenadines offers something for every taste. Over spring and summer, the islands explode in a riot of color as tropical flowers bloom and fruits ripen on branches everywhere. The sweet scent of rum punch hangs in the air, and the warm waters often become quiet enough to allow swimming from island to island.
4. BermudaBermuda is instantly recognizable by its unique, old-world British sophistication. While Bermudians do know how to have a good time, they still do walk about town perfectly dressed in neatly tucked in business shirts. Unlike other tropical islands, though, a good time at the beach isn’t the only point to Bermuda. Golf is big here, too. If it’s Bermuda’s beaches that interest you, the Horseshoe Bay and Elbow beaches are world-famous.
5. The BahamasThe beaches of the Bahamian islands are what most people recall when they think of tropical paradises. Dazzling white sands, extravagantly colorful undersea life that you get to play with, scuba diving among coral reefs and ultra-rich resorts make the Bahamas one of the hottest destinations in the Caribbean.
6. The British Virgin IslandsThe British Virgin Islands, or BVI as they are known for short, are among the least developed islands of the Caribbean. While they do have resorts and a few tourist attractions, they only occupy a small part of the islands. If you would love to explore the Caribbean undisturbed by tourists, the BVI should be your destination.
7. St. LuciaSt. Lucia is a beautiful, unspoiled island that offers many isolated spots for honeymooners to hide away in. Many couples choose this destination because it’s breathtakingly beautiful and rather affordable. The St. Lucia Jazz Festival is another reason the island is world-famous. It attracts some of the top musical acts of the world – everyone from Kenny G to Amy Winehouse.
8. St. MaartenSt. Maarten is famous among aircraft watchers: the airport runway that is right next to one of the island’s beaches, has large commercial jets coming in, less than 100 feet off the ground. The airport apart, St. Maarten is a tranquil tropical resort by day. After dark, its character changes; the island resort has spectacular nightlife.
9. The Cayman IslandsThe Cayman Islands have an unfortunate reputation as a financial hideout for billionaires with ill-gotten money. Its other side, though, is much gentler; lavish coral reefs, crystal waters and friendly sea life make the Cayman Islands a grand family destination. While you’ll need lots of cash, the trip is worth the money.
10. St. Kitts and NevisSt. Kitts and Nevis isn’t usually at the top of everyone’s list of Caribbean destinations to try out. It does get top billing where it matters, though, on the lists of world-famous celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey, Sylvester Stallone and Britney Spears. Once you arrive here, you will fill your days with time on the wide variety of beaches you see, with the slow life of the island’s towns and on tracks exploring the tropical volcanic forests.
While a few Caribbean destinations do tend to be favored by the rich and famous, most destinations are affordable. You can choose whether to spend lots of money or save some cash for your next trip. My friend who’s not rich has visited many luxury destination without spending a fortune. The list of the places to visit in the Caribbean may be longer, but these ten are the most famous and beautiful places to visit. You can easily try a different island on each vacation, or try several at one go.